Let’s move more slowly. Breathe more deeply. And bring some much-needed balance to our lives.
Let’s join the tai chi movement – an activity you can engage in for the rest of your life. In tai chi, you move without pausing through a series of animal actions or martial arts moves. As you move, you breathe deeply and naturally, focusing your attention on your bodily sensations.
Yes, it may take some time to get used to the slower pace of this low-impact, gentle form of exercise. But it’s worth the effort – this “meditation in motion” is backed by centuries of health benefits.
Tai chi can help you improve your strength, flexibility, and balance. It’s even been proven to improve cardiovascular fitness, lower blood pressure, and help people who have arthritis.
But perhaps one of the greatest health benefits of practicing tai chi? To help reduce the risk of falling. Did you know from around the age of 25, we begin to lose physical strength and bone density, our sense of balance deteriorates, and we take longer to recover from a fall? Yikes!
Tai chi is safe and doesn’t require any expensive equipment, so it’s easy to get started. All you need are some comfy clothes and a willingness to slow down and be present.
More balance is sure to follow.
Sources: Harvard Health Publishing, Forbes Health, Tai Chi for Health Institute
Give tai chi a try
Curious about tai chi? We recommend consulting with your doctor before beginning a practice. What’s more, search for a class led by an experienced, qualified instructor. Until then, here’s an exercise you can try right now at home.
- Start by standing or sitting with your hands resting on your thighs. Press your tongue gently into the roof of your mouth. Breathe through your nose, long and slow.
- Coordinate your breath with movement. As you inhale slowly through your nose, raise your relaxed hands to face level.
- As you exhale slowly, lower your hands back to your legs. Relax deeply.
- Repeat 10 times.
Your SilverSneakers® fitness benefit offers free online Tai Chi classes.
Check it out at SilverSneakers.com/learn/ondemand.
SilverSneakers is a registered trademark of Tivity Health, Inc.
SilverSneakers On-Demand is a trademark of Tivity Health, Inc.
© 2020 Tivity Health, Inc. All rights reserved.
Improve Your Balance with Nymbl
Meet Nymbl, the at-home balance training app that’s scientifically proven to help improve balance and reduce fall risks. This free, evidenced-based fall prevention program* trains the brain and body to work together. Using just a smartphone, and in only 10 minutes a day, you can enhance your freedom and enjoyment of life.
*Benefits vary by plan.
Get Nymbl in your life:
- Download Nymbl Training on the App Store or Google Play
- Visit KC.Fallsfree.com
Lively™ Mobile Plus to the Rescue
Lively™ Mobile Plus is a Personal Emergency Response System (PERS) benefit covered under your Blue Medicare Advantage plan. Are you taking advantage of this important service?
Count on Lively Mobile Plus for:
- Fast response to emergencies big and small
- An extra layer of support with a push of a button
- A direct connection to an Urgent Response agent who can help identify additional community support as needed, such as transportation or assistance with activities of daily living (ADL)
- Real-time assistance with scheduling doctor appointments or refilling prescriptions
- A built-in fall detection response activated if you fall
*Benefits vary by plan.
To order your free device, call 1-800-358-9081 (TTY:711).