Why wait until January to set goals and create healthy habits? Afterall, a strong finish to this year can help you jump start the new year with confidence. Since December is a month of gift giving, it’s a wonderful time to gift yourself with a happier, healthier lifestyle.
Start working on your goals today and, by January 1, you’ll be steps ahead in achieving them. Plus, you’ll likely feel stronger and more energized throughout the holidays. It’s a win-win and SilverSneakers® – your fitness benefit from Blue Medicare Advantage at no additional cost – can help you get there.
Tips to finish the year strong:
- Exercise – Participate in a SilverSneakers workout class or workshop, in-person or online. Working out can help increase muscle and bone strength, improve stability and balance, and reduce stress and anxiety.1
- Organize – Keep what you need and sell or give away what you don’t; maybe even re-gift items and save money on holiday spending! This can also help make your surroundings safer by removing obstacles in your path that might be fall risks.2
- Prioritize – You! It’s not selfish to take care of yourself – especially during the busy holiday season – and adding these good habits to the tips listed above can help:
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and help digestive processes3
- Turn off electronic screens an hour before bedtime for better sleep4
- Read books, magazines or newspapers to stay sharper and slow cognitive decline5
GET STARTED (SilverSneakers.com/StartHere)
SilverSneakers is more than a fitness program – it’s a way of life. You’re sure to find something to fit your level, from SilverSneakers Classic, with seated options, to high-intensity Total Body Strength. With SilverSneakers, you get access to:
- memberships to thousands of fitness locations6 (visit as many as you like)
- group exercise classes7 designed for all abilities
- instructors trained in senior fitness
- fun activities held outside the gym
- SilverSneakers On-Demand online workout videos for at home workouts, available 24/7
- SilverSneakers LIVE full-length classes and workshops (exercise with others, but from the comfort of home)
- SilverSneakers GO mobile app with workout programs, location finder and more
Always talk with your doctor before starting an exercise program.
1 Langhammer B, Bergland A, Rydwik E. The Importance of Physical Activity Exercise among Older People. Biomed Res Int. 2018 Dec 5;2018:7856823. doi: 10.1155/2018/7856823. PMID: 30627571; PMCID: PMC6304477.
2 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control
3 Popkin BM, D’Anci KE, Rosenberg IH. Water, hydration, and health. Nutr Rev. 2010 Aug;68(8):439-58. doi: 10.1111/j.1753- 4887.2010.00304.x. PMID: 20646222; PMCID: PMC2908954.
4 Gradisar M; Wolfson AR; Harvey AG; Hale L; Rosenberg R; Czeisler CA. The sleep and technology use of Americans: findings from the National Sleep Foundation’s 2011 Sleep in America Poll. J Clin Sleep Med 2013;9(12):1291-1299.
5 Hughes TF, Chang CC, Vander Bilt J, Ganguli M. Engagement in reading and hobbies and risk of incident dementia: the MoVIES project. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2010 Aug;25(5):432-8. doi: 10.1177/1533317510368399. PMID: 20660517; PMCID: PMC2911991.
6 Participating locations (“PL”) are not owned or operated by Tivity Health, Inc. or its affiliates. Use of PL facilities and amenities are limited to terms and conditions of PL basic membership. Facilities and amenities vary by PL.
7 Membership includes SilverSneakers instructor-led group fitness classes. Some locations offer members additional classes. Classes vary by location.
SilverSneakers is a registered trademark of Tivity Health, Inc. SilverSneakers On-Demand and SilverSneakers GO are trademarks of Tivity Health, Inc. ˝ 2022 Tivity Health, Inc. All rights reserved. SSFP2593_0422